World Athletics on Wednesday voted Uganda’s 23 year old, Joshua Cheptegei as the Athlete of the Month-August following his recent triumph in Monaco.
Cheptegei run a 5,000m race in 12:35.36 seconds, setting new record from the 12:37.35 that Ethiopian long-distance runner Bekele set in the Netherlands in 2004.
“We have a winner. Thanks to his phenomenal 5,000m world record, @Joshuacheptegei1 is August’s moment of the month.” World Athletics tweeted.
A look at his last five races, which include three consecutive world records in a year of unparalleled achievement:
• On 29 August, last year, he won the 5000m at the Diamond League final in Zurich.
• On 6 October, he won the 10,000m at the World Championships in Doha.
• On 1 December, he set a world 10km record of 26:38 in Valencia, Spain.
• On 16 February, he set a world 5km record of 12:51 in Monaco.
• On 14 August, he set a world 5000m record of 12:35.36 in Monaco.