WFP poisoned porridge: 03 died, 262 sick; samples sent to South Africa

- Advertisement -

Police is investigating a supply of food from the World Food Programme (WFP) after three people died and 262 others got sick.



The Territorial Police in Mt. Moroto, is actively investigating the death of three people in Amudat and Napak districts, respectively, from eating adulterated or poisonous food supplied by the World Food Programme (WFP) to pregnant women and malnourished children.
The three deceased persons include; Chemikan Seliang, a 67 year old female adult of Amunan village, Amudat district and Logit Marino, a 58year old, male adult of Kapilacan village, Kokipurat parish, Lowugechora sub county in Napak district , and Sagal Mate , a 68 year old male adult who died from Matany Hospital, in Napak District .



A total of 18 victims from Amudat District , suffered health complications of bleeding from the nose , diarrhea , and were admitted at Alakas Health Centre III in Amudat District , some were discharged.
An additional 140 victims were admitted at Matany Hospital in Napak district, with similar health complications
People suffered diarrhoea, nose bleeds and other health problems after eating food provided by the United Nations food agency, police said in a statement late on Monday.



- Advertisement -

The food was part of a community feeding programme in the northeastern Karamoja region, a semi-arid area where the UN has long provided food aid for people facing poor harvests.
Samples of the food and the patients’ urine and blood had been sent to a government laboratory for analysis.



The food agency said on Saturday it had suspended distribution of Super Cereal – a fortified blended food – at all its operations in Uganda.

- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.