Following the recent unfortunate xenophobic attacks on foreign nationals in South Africa, Ugandans living and working in South Africa have been asked to stay away from volatile areas.
South Africa’s biggest city and other areas were hit by a surge of attacks against businesses owned by migrants in the last week, leaving at least 10 people dead and prompting protests from several African countries.
Hon. Sam Kuteesa, the minister of Foreign Affairs has also advised nationals in South Africa to register with Uganda’s High Commission in Pretoria for assistance in case of emergency.
Last week, Nigerians in South Africa were offered a free flight to return home “following the recent unfortunate xenophobic attacks “
Meanwhile, residents of hostels in eastern Johannesburg on Sunday marched along Jules Street in the area, demanding that “foreigners must go back to where they came from”.
The marchers, who carried weapons such as knobkerries maintained it wanted foreign nationals to leave.
By Friday, at least seven people had died and over 400 people arrested over the violent clashes.
Siphiwe Mhlongo, chairman of hostel headmen in Gauteng, said the residents were angry at jobs being take by foreign nationals, unhappy about drugs and RDP houses being owned by foreigners.
“Everyone who is in South Africa has that feeling that foreign nationals must go back home. But we don’t say foreign nationals must be beaten up; we are leaders.”
Anglican archbishop demands
Preaching at church services in Cape Town, Anglican archbishop Thabo Makgoba urged President Cyril Ramaphosa to arrest and prosecute those behind the attacks.
“Have we forgotten the pain that apartheid forced removals inflicted upon us? It is shocking that there are now those among us who want to inflict that same pain on others.” He said
“I have just attended the World Economic Forum and the buzz-word has been cross-border trade. How can we expect other countries in Africa to trade with us when we demean and mistreat others?’’