Sauna explosion in Kyaliwajala: 05 injured, owner arrested

- Advertisement -




At least five people sustained injuries on Sunday evening following an explosion at Marco’s Gym and Spa located next to Quality Supermarket along the Naalya-Namugongo road in Kyaliwajjala, Wakiso district.
Police have arrested the owner on charges of rash and negligence.



Police says the explosion happened after a bath steam boiler exploded causing damage on the three storeyed building.
The initial response was effected by the territorial police who identified that there was an explosion inside the 3 storied building.



- Advertisement -

The victims were evacuated and scene of crime cordoned off. Counter terrorism experts were called immediately and made initial assessment and confirmed that the explosion had occurred.
According to police, Preliminary post blast intervention reveal that the explosion was due to a steam bath boiler which exploded as a result of excess heat inside the sealed metallic device.



It is also suspected that the control valve for the boiler would have been faulty. The immediate gas escape from the sealed metallic container caused a mechanical explosion which damaged immediate houses within the vicinity.
Management of GYM and Spa says there were no customers in the sauna at the time of the explosion. She says that the victims were employees of the spa, who were all taken to different clinics with minor injuries.



Two incidents that involved blast of sauna boilers were reported at police in the last four years. In 2011, a similar incident happened at a health club in Ntinda when a cylinder exploded leaving eight people with serious injuries.

- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.