President Museveni has assured tourists that Uganda is safe. The Head of State says the recent kidnappings of tourists are isolated pockets of criminals
‘ ‘Last evening, security officials briefed me about the rescue of American tourist Kimberly Sue and her Ugandan guide, Jean Paul Mirenge, who had been kidnapped by criminals in Queen Elizabeth National Park.’’ The president said in statement issued on Monday morning.
‘’ I want to reassure the country and our tourists that Uganda is safe and we shall continue to improve the security in our parks. Come and enjoy the Pearl of Africa.’’
The president says, government shall deal with these isolated pockets of criminals.
A joint team of Uganda’s security forces found American tourist Kimbley Sue Endecott and her tour guide Jean Paul Mirenge who were ‘abducted’ in Queen Elizabeth National Park in the South Western part of the country.
According to Police, The two were recovered unharmed, in good health and in the safe hands of the joint security team.
Pleased to report that the American tourist and tour guide that were abducted in Uganda have been released. God bless them and their families!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 7, 2019
Tuesday, 2nd April, 2019, Ms. Kimberley Sue Endicott, were kidnapped on gunpoint while on an evening game drive at Queen Elizabeth National park
The kidnappers asked for a ransom of $ 500,000 (about Ugx. 1.8bn) before releasing the captives.
Mike Walker, manager of Wild Frontiers Safaris, said US tourist Kimberly Endicott and the guide, named only as ‘Jean-Paul’ by a government spokesman, were “back safe”.
“Ransom paid and people exchanged,” he told AFP by text.
Referring to the ransom amount Walker said he did not know the “precise amount yet”.
The international media quoted the spokesperson of Wild Frontiers Uganda which employs Mirenge that a ransom was paid.
#TeamUganda, Don't bother with those like at @DailyMonitor trying to pour cold water, and discredit the efforts of the joint Uganda security forces in the safe rescue and return of kidnapped American tourist #KimberlySueEndicott @UgandaMediaCent
— Ofwono Opondo P'Odel (@OfwonoOpondo) April 8, 2019
The American news cable CBS reported that hard negotiations were conducted over the demanded $500000 ransom amount for five days.
“The negotiated amount was paid by Tour Company at the border of DRC and Uganda and exchange happened.” The paper reported.
It’s now increasingly clear that the American tourist &Ugandan guide were released by the kidnappers NOT rescued after “successfully operation” by Security Forces!
— Kifefe Kizza-Besigye (@kizzabesigye1) April 7, 2019