President Yoweri Museveni will today at 8PM address the nation.
‘’I will address the country today at 8pm, offering an update on the status of the Covid-19 pandemic and what more measures we can undertake as a country to stem the spread of this disease’’ the president tweeted on Monday afternoon.
Uganda’s total number of COVID-19 confirmed cases is now at 33, after the Ministry of Health confirmed that out of 206 samples run Sunday, 203 samples tested negative.
Two of the three victims are wife and daughter of the man from Masaka who was among the first nine confirmed cases. They had been quarantined in Entebbe. On his return from Dubai, he went home to his family. After the first confirmed case, his community advised him to go for checkup where he tested positive.
The third person is a 15-year-old teenager who returned from school in the UK on March 21st. He was under institutional quarantine where he developed symptoms and tested positive.
In his last address on 25th March, the head of state suspended use of public transport for 14 days
“All public means of transport have been suspended for 14 days. This includes taxis, buses, coasters, passenger trains, tricycles and boda bodas.” Mr Museveni said.
He added; other private vehicles that will be allowed to move are trucks/lorries carrying food. He said boda boda’s can be used to carry food.
“We are trying to target human beings. Passengers will only move in private cars. Ambulances, vehicles of security forces; army and police, some of the government vehicles doing essential work, garbage trucks will be allowed to move,” Mr Museveni said.
The president also suspended the operation of non-food shops and markets.
Meanwhile patients in Mbale Regional Referral Hospital are deserting over increased fear of the coronavirus.
The beds are vacant after medical workers abandoned the hospital protective gears.